Lovely Mellow Youth
Lovely Mellow Youth
by Aimee Hembree

 What I eat in a day!


Hi, hello, lil babies! Had to come out from a YouTube coma to write this for y’all. Seriously, has anyone else been keeping up with all the drama on YT?! I mean, the entire community is imploding and I’m honestly just sitting on the sidelines with my popcorn. EL OH EL.

Moving on..

Let’s get into why we’re here today. If you’ve been keeping up with me on Instagram, you know I was on lil beach vacay last week with my man. We drove (14 excruciating hours) down to Cocoa Beach, FL. It was my first time there, and it is the cutest, little beach town. Aside from too much sun (and maybe too many libations) there was also T O O much terrible eating. Dunkin’ Donuts, almost every day. IHOP at 10 o’clock at night. More chik-fil-a than I really care to admit. The truth? I don’t regret one single, delicious bite. It was vacation! The downside? This is not how I eat on a regular basis and I felt that once I got back home. So this week’s goal was to eat as healthy as possible and try to reverse the effects of treating myself like a human garbage can.

So today I’m going to break down what a typical HEALTHY day of eating looks like for me. Let’s go!



I never skip breakfast, never. Mainly because I wake up with my stomach growling, no matter how late or early I ate dinner the night before. On the weekends, I almost always spoil myself with a big breakfast. Through the week, however, I don’t have this luxury because I work a full time job. So timeliness is a necessity when fixing breakfast before work.

My favorite quick + easy breakfast is instant oatmeal and my simple green smoothie.


10oz cashew milk

1 banana

2 scoops Pure Protein super food protein powder (vegetarian friendly!)

2 scoops Vital Proteins Beauty Collagen powder (I get the Lavender Lemon)

1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter

1 cup (or a handful, in my case) organic spinach or kale

Loootsss of organic cinnamon



For lunch, I usually keep it pretty light. Enough to keep me full, but not so much that it’s nap time after, you feel me? Also, I, almost always, eat out for lunch just because…convenience. And one of my go-to’s is Starbucks’ Protein Boxes. Today I tried their new Baja Black Bean Veggie Wrap. Black beans, salsa slaw and mixed veggies wrapped in a tortilla with carrots + ranch dressing on the side, and apple slices for “dessert”. Boasting 24g of protein, I would rate this particular box a 9/10. My only beef is I would have almost preferred the wrap to be warm. My body craves protein and I try to fit as much into a meal as possible, so I was pleased with the gram amount on this box, given it’s vegetarian friendly. Wash all this down with a basic Venti ice water.



Okay, so before I get into this breakdown, let me just explain something. My diet is 80-20. 80% of the time I eat a plant based diet, the other 20% I’m housing Quarter Pounders with not a regret in sight. For a couple of years, I was 100% plant based and long story short, it got to a point where I felt like eating became a chore. I looove eating. Like, love. It actually improves my mood. I want to enjoy every meal I’m having, which is why I made the decision to allow myself a couple meat days a week. Life’s too short to not enjoy every second that you can. *shrug*

I say all of this because up until now, my meals today have all been plant based, but for dinner I made some verrrry simple turkey taco wraps.

I looove butter lettuce (also known as “living lettuce”.) Big leafy pieces perfect for using as a substitution to taco shells or tortillas. Just fill them up with a little ground turkey and top with plain Greek yogurt, my favorite sub for sour cream. I did a side of black beans + quinoa, instead of rice, cuz…protein! And of course, no taco din is complete without some chopped avo!

If you peeped my Insta story today, you saw that I also make my own taco seasoning. I just recently got into making my own seasonings and spices and may never go back to packaged. It’s just so clutch being able to control the amount and quality of what goes into them, rather than trying to trust a label. Get the breakdown below!

Taco Seasoning:

1 tbs chili powder

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

1/4 tsp dried oregano

1 1/2 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper



Aside from three regular meals a day, I’ve also been known to be a bit of a serial snacker. A few healthy things I reach for are a banana with some peanut butter, half of an avo sprinkled with some red pepper flakes, or my personal fave- chocolate covered almonds!

That’s it, babes. That’s a quick little breakdown of what a healthy day of eating looks like for me. I hope you guys enjoyed that. If there’s any other “day in my life” situations that y’all are interested in seeing- my DM’s are always open. I would love to hear feedback and what you guys want to see from me.

Until the next one, peoples.

xoxo, Aimee